BALTIMORE, Md. - Update: The natural gas leak in Locust Point has been stopped and the main repaired. BGE says the 4 commercial customers that were affected by the main that broke Monday morning in the 1100 block of Hull Street should all see service restored this evening.
People living in the area are being allowed to return to their homes and employees are returning to work.
A day care in the area was also evacuated Monday morning. The children were taken to a nearby Recreation Center and will remain there for their parents to pick them up.
An odor of natural gas was first reported around 10:30 a.m. Fire crews arrived and discovered a contractor was working on a utility line in the street when the line broke.
A gas leak in Locust Point forced companies to evacuate several buildings Monday morning.
A spokesperson for the Baltimore City Fire Department says an odor of natural gas forced the evacuations around 10:30 a.m. in the 1100 block of Hull Street.
They say crews are on the scene assessing the situation.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
SPECIAL REPORT | Thousands of child care center inspections reports are NOW AVAILABLE. Find out what inspectors founds inside day care centers across the state.
SPECIAL REPORT | When it's out of your hands, when your life is at the mercy of an armed, masked man staring down at you from the barrel of a gun in your own home, you grasp at whatever it is you can control; breathing, composure, or faith.
SPECIAL REPORT | ABC2 Investigator Joce Sterman has reviewed thousands of pages of documents for her Bad Medicine report.