A recent report from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine ranks airports across the country on options for health food choices.
The position at the bottom of the list is held by Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Internation Airport. According to the annual report, only 58 percent of the airport's eateries offer healthy options.
BWI is among the bottom half of the list with 76 percent of airport eateries offering healthy alternatives. But, the score can be a bit misleading as only one percentage point stands between the airport in Anne Arundel County and the top half of the list.
Newark Liberty International Airport tops the list with a percentage of 92.
To develop the scores, dieticians surveyed restaurant meals at 18 major airports. They gave each restaurant a point if its menu included at least on low-fat, high-fiber, cholesterol free vegetarian entree. The final percentage score was derived by dividing the airport's number of restaurants serving health-conscious fare by its total number of restaurants.
Glance at the scores
1. Newark Liberty International Airport 92% 56/61
2. Las Vegas McCarran International Airport 91% 49/54
3. Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport 90% 52/58
4. Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport 87% 53/61
5. (tie) Chicago O'Hare International Airport 84% 81/97
5. (tie) Miami International Airport 84% 63/75
6. (tie) Orlando International Airport 82% 36/446. (tie) Washington Dulles International Airport 82% 32/39
6. (tie) Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport 82% 49/60
7. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport 81% 76/94
8. (tie) Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport 78% 51/65
8. (tie) Charlotte Douglas International Airport 78% 35/45
9. (tie) San Francisco International Airport 77% 53/69
9. (tie) Denver International Airport 77% 47/61
10. (tie) Los Angeles International Airport 76% 38/50
10. (tie) Baltimore/ Washington International Airport 76% 29/38
11. Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport 69% 24/35
12. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport 58% 45/78
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
SPECIAL REPORT | Thousands of child care center inspections reports are NOW AVAILABLE. Find out what inspectors founds inside day care centers across the state.
SPECIAL REPORT | When it's out of your hands, when your life is at the mercy of an armed, masked man staring down at you from the barrel of a gun in your own home, you grasp at whatever it is you can control; breathing, composure, or faith.
SPECIAL REPORT | ABC2 Investigator Joce Sterman has reviewed thousands of pages of documents for her Bad Medicine report.
More Anne Arundel County News
His latest legislative achievements put him in the vanguard of his party's liberal base. He's been a top fundraiser for President Barack Obama. And he's ramping up his travel to help fellow Democrats around the country.