You may be familiar with the concept of our 75/25 split. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate through events like the Race for the Cure stays in Maryland. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research, often taking place at Maryland institutions.
Komen Maryland does not provide direct services. Komen Maryland awards grant funds to community organizations which provide direct services in their local community. Many people might receive services from a Komen-funded program and not even know it!
|•||Outreach workers and nurse navigators at clinics and hospitals who assist women through the screening and diagnosis process are often paid for by Komen funds.|
|•||Mammograms and diagnostic tests through clinics and local health department are often paid for by Komen funds.|
|•||Hospital-based support and mentoring programs for breast cancer patients across the state are funded by Komen.|
|•||Transportation, meals, and co-pays are all services that are paid for by Komen funds|
This year, Komen Maryland awarded about $865,000 to 10 grant programs across the state. An additional nearly $600,000 was directed to support national research through Komen Headquarters . Komen Maryland also funds small grants year round and has earmarked $50,000 for screening/diagnostic and emergency assistance programs this fiscal year. Read more about the 10 programs across the state who received grants this year.
Grant recipients are selected by Komen Maryland through a competitive, independent and objective review process.
|1.||Komen Maryland releases a request for applications (RFA) annually in August to ask organizations to submit applications to meet priority areas and population needs based on our Komen Maryland uses its Community Profile assessment tool.|
|2.||An anonymous Independent Review Committee reviews applications that are complete and comply with the RFA guidelines. Applications are reviewed by three independent reviewers who consider the following criteria: impact, feasibility, capacity, collaboration and sustainability. An application that receives a low score (an average score of 70 percent or below) is not eligible for funding.|
|3.||Based on the amount of money that Komen Maryland has to award, the Board of Directors makes the final decision on a group of grant programs.|
What kind of difference do these grant programs make in the community?
These grant programs do some amazing things for women, men and families in the Maryland community. Each program submits a 6 month and final report to Komen Maryland recording their accomplishments. It's impossible to quantify the impact over the past 20 years that Komen Maryland grant programs have made in the lives of women and families served. But here are some things the 26 grant programs from last year accomplished:
|•||Diagnosed 61 cases of breast cancer|
|•||Provided 8,453 women with clinical breast exams|
|•||Provided 6,775 women with screening mammograms|
|•||Provided 2,633 survivors and families with support services, counseling or assistance with daily living activities|
|•||Provided 468 women with financial aid|
|•||Provided 353 children impacted by breast cancer with counseling or assistance with meals/groceries|
For the full list of accomplishments, please click here .
©2007 The E.W. Scripps Co. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.