When you go to the hospital, you should be able to trust the people there taking care of you.
But for dozens that wasn't the case when police say a medical technician infected them with Hepatitis C.
According to new documents obtained by CNN, the suspect caught the attention of his credentialing agency two years ago when a fellow employee found him passed out in a hospital bathroom.
David Kwiatkowski was fired from the hospital. He turned in his license but then went on to work in Philly.
He couldn't be punished because there were no criminal charges and he passed a drug test the very next day.
Kwiatkowski is accused of infecting dozens of people across the U.S. with Hepatitis C.
Authorities say he injected himself with syringes filled with a powerful painkiller and then reused the dirty needles on patients.
He was charged last week in federal court accused of stealing drugs from a New Hampshire hospital where he worked in a cardiology lab.
Kwiatkowski also worked in several hospitals here in Maryland. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
SPECIAL REPORT | Thousands of child care center inspections reports are NOW AVAILABLE. Find out what inspectors founds inside day care centers across the state.
SPECIAL REPORT | When it's out of your hands, when your life is at the mercy of an armed, masked man staring down at you from the barrel of a gun in your own home, you grasp at whatever it is you can control; breathing, composure, or faith.
SPECIAL REPORT | ABC2 Investigator Joce Sterman has reviewed thousands of pages of documents for her Bad Medicine report.
It appears more and more young people may be sleepy at the wheel. A new study ties a lack of sleep to a significantly higher risk for crashes among young drivers.
Sunbathers this summer will find new sunscreen labels that are designed to make the products more effective and easier to use.
If you're hoping to get a jump start on your tan this summer, the Food and Drug Administration has a warning for you.