Even though we're still not feeling those temperature drops, it's always a good thing to make sure your vehicle is "winter ready."
And if you haven't done so already, The List has some basic tips from Hunt Valley's own CARCHEX you should follow each year:
1. Battery – Test your battery to ensure posts and connections are corrosion-free and that your battery has proper amounts of water it needs.
2. Fresh Oil & Filter – This is the most neglected area by car owners. Oil tends to thicken as it gets colder, and if it’s too thick it won’t do the best job of keeping your engine lubricated. Check your owner’s manual for recommended intervals and which oil to use in different climates and temperatures.
3. Check Fluids – Make sure you have an equal mixture of antifreeze (coolant) and water inside your radiator for best results.
4. Check Hoses & Belts – A week hose or belt could result in cracking causing the car to not operate and could leave you stranded on a deserted back road.
5. Tires – Make sure your tires are in good condition. The lower the tread on a tire can results in the less capable the tire deals with ice and snow, even rain.
6. Brakes – Check brakes to make sure functioning properly.
7. Test Lights – In winter months there is less daylight, resulting in driving in darkness longer periods of time. Drivers need to be able to see the road, but more importantly, need to be seen by other cars.
8. Wiper Blades – Make sure wiper blades can deal with snow and ice. Also, fill up your windshield washer reservoir with windshield washer fluid.
They'll have more on these car tips, plus how your social media profile can help AND hurt you while searching for that new job.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Lifestyle Headlines
A wild animal's natural instinct is to steer clear of humans, but when a fox cub somehow got its head hopelessly stuck inside a glass jar, there seemed to be no other option than to seek a helping pair of human hands.