How about we take all the fun out of Halloween by detailing just how caloric that candy can be? Consider this our version of the awful parental trick of handing out baby carrots in Tootsie Roll wrappers and making kids cry.
1. How many fewer calories does a Hershey's Kiss with almonds have than a regular Hershey's Kiss?
2. Which "fun size" candy bar (17 grams) has the fewest calories?
b) Milky Way
c) Kit Kat
3. How many more calories does the long, thin "small" Tootsie Roll have compared with the shorter, squatter "midgee"?
4. Judging strictly by calories, which would be the worst "fun size" box of candy to choose?
b) Hot Tamales
c) Junior Mints
5. Which food choice has the fewest calories?
a) A large banana
b) 1-ounce York Peppermint Pattie
c) 1 ounce of roasted, salted almonds
ANSWERS: 1: b; 2: c (Kit Kat, 73; Milky Way, 75; Snickers, 80); 3: a; 4: a (Raisinettes, 56; Junior Mints and Hot Tamales, 50 each); 5: b (Peppermint Pattie, 102; banana, 121; almonds, 167).
Sources: nutritiondata.self.com; lowcarbdiets.about.com
(Contact Sam McManis at smcmanis(at)sacbee.com.)
(Distributed by Scripps Howard News Service, www.scrippsnews.com.)
Courtesy of the Sacramento Bee