from Food Network Kitchens
If you skip breakfast because you are trying to save calories
or you think you just don't have time, here's your wake-up call.
Breakfast eaters tend to be leaner and more successful at
maintaining a healthy weight than people who miss their morning
meal. Besides, studies show breakfast skippers make up for the
calories by eating more later in the day. Not only can breakfast
help you stay lean, it gives you the energy you need to jump-start
your day and get your brain working at its peak.
The perfect breakfast contains a whole-grain, a source of
protein (like egg, dairy, nuts or lean meat) and a fruit or
So a simple, fast bowl of whole-grain cereal with low-fat
milk and fruit fits the bill perfectly. If you don't think you have
time for even that, here are some breakfast options you can eat as
you are running out the door.
Courtesy Ellie Krieger on
- A whole-grain cereal bar, an apple and a skim latte.
- A whole-wheat English muffin with peanut butter and a juicy
- A smoothie made with strawberries, milk, vanilla yogurt and a
sprinkle of wheat germ. Make it the night before, and then just
wake, shake and pour into a to-go cup.
- A hard-boiled egg, some whole-grain crackers and a
- Half a turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomato.